Food for Thought: Nutrition Tips to Benefit the Body and Mind
PRA Group Employee Resource Group Helps Employees Celebrate Mental Health Awareness Month Internationally with Nutrition Tips for Wellness
May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and our Mental & Emotional Well-Being (MEW) employee resource group (ERG) is doing something different, impactful, and engaging. Throughout the month, MEW is providing resources and programming to encourage PRA Group employees to enjoy healthy meals. They’ve encouraged one another by sharing pictures of their plates within their network and on social media.
Check out PRA Group’s post here!
During each quarter of 2023 so far, the MEW ERG has focused on a new theme related to personal well-being. Q1 emphasized “the Power of Love” and Q2 revolves around “the Power of Wellness.” The MEW ERG has advanced this theme by sharing helpful TED Talks, like The Brain-changing Benefits of Exercise, by Wendy Suzuki and Exercise, Nutrition, and Health: Keeping it Simple delivered by Jason Kilderry.
The ERG created its own resources as well, listing the following best practices for exercise and nutrition and distributing them to staff members in the U.S. and Canada via email.
*Note: The following is not medical advice. It is intended for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
- Portion out snacks based on serving sizes.
- Use the word “reward” rather than calling certain foods “cheat” meals and snacks.
- Reframe your perspective by intentionally thinking about exercise and nutrition positively.
- If you have a craving, drink water before satisfying it, and see whether the craving persists.
- A craving could mean your body is missing a nutrient, so consider choosing a healthy option and if that does not satisfy your craving, eat a small amount of what you crave.
- Sometimes it’s not so much about what you eat, but when you eat. If you want to have sugar, have it early enough in the day to give you time to work it off.
- Set a goal to help you stay focused on exercise. Apps and/or fitness trackers can help.
- Start your day with a green smoothie with spinach, which can help cut sugar cravings and reduce brain fog.
- Listen to podcasts, audiobooks, or watch YouTube while exercising.
- Park in the furthest corner of the parking lot so you take more steps on the way to your destination.
- Try adding mushrooms to your diet for their health-boosting vitamins, minerals, protein, and fiber.
It is a joy to see our employees fulfill the purpose of this ERG and promote PRA Group’s inclusive culture by challenging and eradicating stigma, increasing awareness, and fostering a community that offers support and advocacy for mental and emotional well-being for all employees.
About PRA Group
As a global leader in acquiring and collecting nonperforming loans, PRA Group, Inc. returns capital to banks and other creditors to help expand financial services for consumers in the Americas, Europe and Australia. With thousands of employees worldwide, PRA Group companies collaborate with customers to help them resolve their debt. For more information, please visit www.pragroup.com.
Najim Mostamand, CFA
Vice President, Investor Relations
Senior Vice President, Communications and Public Policy